Thursday 6 March 2008

its been 2 months

Since starting my inital blog. Things have gone from strength to strength. I never envisaged that this issue and the website would prove so popular.

Don't get me wrong. I am very pleased it has.

I have been overwhelmed by the support we are all prepared to give each other. That as well as the support the web facilitates amongst ourselves. The people that have come "out of the woodwork" never ceases to surprise and I am grateful.

When I first received my DBD551. As I spend much of my time at home. For reasons of my own personal medical cirumstances. I tried to empower myself. By searching the internet to find information on this review & if anyone had taken the lead and had placed their own personal experience.

I found information all over the place & no personal experience.

Like many I have kept my head "under the radar" as far as my HIV was concerned. Mainly because of the impact to my family.

I was always happy for someone else to deal with the issues I faced.

In my minds eye. I pictured someone at home. In the same situation. Feeling alone, isolated & scared. Not knowing what was going on. What the review meant. Being turned away from existing agencies.

That this person is not as extrovert or has the strength of character that I do. Thats not a criticism by the way. I understand we are all different. That our own experiences & medical cirumstances also have an impact.

That this person wanted to speak up but was to afraid to. That I was willing.

I decided to make the process I was undertaking to empower myself here to empower my wider HIV Community.

I wanted one place. Where the information could be found. But more importantly wanted people to realise that they were not alone. That even if we could do nothing to change the way the process was going to affect us. We could provide support to each other. Give the silent majority a voice. With me as the channel for that voice. Allowing them the security of anonymity. Whilst making them heard. We are all in the same boat hear.

That as I have HIV I can directly relate to the issues.

So, I had the conversations with my family. That I could not sit quiet anymore and had to channel my anger & frustation to produce something positive.

Of course they were worried. But they understood why. I think they were bowled over with the passion the saw that I had for this issue.

So I took the leap and started the blog. I haven't looked back. And over time my passion for the cause. My passion to provide an independent voice for my HIV community has grown.

Though I am affected by this DLA review myself. As is my partner. That this excerise will help with that.

It is not about me, personally. It has always been about the "bigger picture". It has always been about the person in my "mind's eye". It is this that motivates me.

Regardless of how my review affects me. Understand that I will continue to be a voice.

Now that I have raised my head up. I am in this for the long haul.


No comments: